St. Thomas’ Cathedral (1718)
Church Gate Street, Fort (presently Veer Nariman Road)
The colonial government regularly reminded Bombay’s citizenry that it subsidized the cost of divine worship at St. Thomas’ Cathedral. Pew rents, a common means through which churches generated income by charging worshippers for the use of pews, were not imposed, states city directories from the late 1800s.
Notice a lady’s Louis Vuitton handbag in the corner that could well do with subsidizing.