British Hotel Lane, Fort
Bandukwala Building is a wonderful example of a name typical to structures in the city. The most popular formula for naming was a cosmopolitan mix of a native proper name (in this case probably a surname Bandukwala) with a word in English that suggests a type of structure (Building).
The reasons for choosing Building over some of the other terms used to denote structures (Mansion, Villa, Lodge) is unclear, though the trends seem to suggest the favouring of alliterations.
It is a shame that tangles of wires mar the façade of Bandukwala Building.
Flooring: Pradeep Gomantak Bhojnalaya (1970)
Sheri House, Gunbow Street, Fort (presently Rustom Sidhwa Marg).
Dashrath Pundalik Amonkar, proprietor of the Bhojnalaya (eating house), began his career in catering supplying dabbas (tiffins) to Maharashtrian migrants to Bombay. In 1970 he set up the Bhojnalaya, which can seat up to 25 customers.
An article from the newspaper Lokmat (displayed on premises) notes that the Bhojnalaya has a loyal and cosmopolitan clientele despite the presence of more elaborate eating houses in the Fort locality.
Prices ranges from Rs 60 for the Vegetarian Rice Plate to Rs 150 for the Pomplet Rice Plate.
Signage: Medows Street, Fort
(presently Nagindas Master Road)
Medows Street holds the dubious distinction of the most corrupted street name in the city. Named after General Sir William Medows, Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Bombay from 1788-90, the street was locally referred to as the Ingrez or Angrezi Bazaar since it housed a profusion of European shops. By the 1860s ‘Medows’ had been distorted to ‘Medow’ and subsequently ‘Meadow’ and ‘Meadows’.
The correct address can be found on the signboard of the Commercial Watch Company.
St. Thomas’ Cathedral (1718)
Church Gate Street, Fort (presently Veer Nariman Road)
St. Thomas’ Cathedral, initially called Bombay Church, was located at the heart of the Fort, the walled settlement within which the city’s early inhabitants lived. Church Gate, one of the three gates of the Fort, was named after this church, consecrated into a cathedral in 1837.
The Fort walls were demolished in 1864.