Tag Archives: Esplanade

Esplanade Emergency

11 September, 2016
Share Button

BW (18 of 29)BW (13 of 29)BW (12 of 29)BW (20 of 29)BW (23 of 29)BW (25 of 29)BW (15 of 29)BW (14 of 29)BW (7 of 29)

Interiors: Lady Willingdon Building for the Parsi Ambulance Division (1932)

1 Esplanade Road, Fort (presently M. G. Road).

Though located at 1 Esplanade Road, the Lady Willingdon Building for the Parsi Ambulance Division was in fact the last of the great medical institutions to be built on the Esplanade.

Once the grassy expanse that surrounded the Fort, the Esplanade was developed as part of the new city centre after the Fort walls had been destroyed in the 1860s.

By the 1890s, the Esplanade was dotted with medical institutions catering to women- the Bomanjee Edaljee Allbless Obstetric Hospital (1890), the Parsee Lying-in Hospital (1895) and the Pestanjee Hormusjee Cama Hospital for Women and Children (1896).

Three decades later, in naming the facility of the Parsi Ambulance Division, Lady Willingdon Building, the prominence of women on the promenade continued.

Hashim Badani shoots effortlessly on an emergency visit.

Share Button

Welcome to the glorious Esplanade House

27 March, 2015
Share Button

openingstairs 2CeilingCarvingMotifupstairsDoorTataexterior

Interiors: Esplanade House (1887)
Waudby Road, Fort.

Esplanade House, the palatial residence of industrialist Jamsetji Tata (1839-1904) has been restored to its former glory.

The painstaking restoration work, which took over a decade, was carried out by conservation architect Vikas Dilawari and was funded by the current owners of the building, the R. D. Sethna Scholarship Fund.

Our next photos series will focus on the intricate tiling patterns found on the various floors of the mansion.

Photos courtesy Jasmine Driver for Parsiana magazine.

Share Button