Tag Archives: Elphinstone Circle

Some fine urban design

24 May, 2013
Share Button

Elphinstone Circle (1872)

Façades: Elphinstone Circle (1872)
Fort (presently Horniman Circle).

Elphinstone Circle was the first colonial urban design scheme in Bombay. Previously any design plans for the south of the city had to consider and work around the presence of the Fort settlement; which was a military rather than modern form. Once the Fort walls were demolished in 1864, planners had an open city centre to play with.

Today the Circle hosts the French fashion houses of Hermes and Christian Louboutin, high on design, as on price.

The photograph is shot by Dj Murty on Kodak 400 ISO film.

Share Button

Signage: Elphinstone Circle (1872)

29 March, 2013
Share Button

Elphinstone Circle (1872)

 

Elphinstone Circle (1872)
Fort (presently Horniman Circle).

The Circle was named after Lord Elphinstone, Governor of Bombay from 1853-1860. An initial proposal to name the Circle after Queen Victoria was turned down in favour of the Governor. The Baghdadi Jewish merchant prince David Sassoon, who had donated Rs 50,000 towards the initial proposal, withdrew his funding on the selection of Elphinstone’s name over Victoria’s; giving us a sense of how the politics of naming worked in colonial Bombay.

Share Button