Statues: Esplanade House (1887)
Waudby Road, Fort.
When Busy strayed on Sunday evening from the Breach and Sailor with the white star on his breast went missing at Khetwady, their owners turned to the Bombay press.
‘Dog Lost’, ‘Stolen or Gone Astray’, notices were published on the front page. A handsome reward was promised on the dog’s return.
Yet often in the notices no address was given to which the dog could be returned. Only the owner’s name was mentioned. Why so?
The world encompassed by the daily press of the 1860s was so small, the citizens that featured so familiar, that the front page of the paper read like a Facebook feed. Newspaper offices themselves often served as the first port of call so that Busy was as likely to be escorted back to the Bombay Gazette office as she was to her owner Mr W. Trevor Roper’s arms.
This post is in memory of Oscar Parmar who strayed at midnight on 31st May from Babulnath Road.
Statue: Sir Hormusjee Cowasjee Dinshaw
(1857- 1939),Tardeo Road (presently Javji Dadaji Marg).
Alarmed by the influx of non-Parsi spouses to Adenwalla Baug over the past decade, Hormusjee’s granddaughter Makki had begun to call her family home Adenwalla Baug Miscellaneous.
Hormusjee’s grandchildren had inherited intact his orthodoxy. Makki combined hers with good breeding. Sitting at the front porch with tea, magazines and an electric bell, she would wave or salaam at the motley crew of residents, employees and guests that passed in and out of the compound’s green gates.
Photo by Hormusjee’s alarmingly liberal great grandson Jehangir and text by his great, great granddaughter Sima who ‘can marry anyone in the world as long he is a Parsi.’
Statue: Albert Edward Prince of Wales (1879)
subsequently Edward VII (1841-1910), Victoria Gardens, Parel Road, Byculla.
In 1965, the Kala Ghoda (black horse), as the bronze statue of Albert Edward Prince of Wales was colloquially called, was deported to the Byculla zoo, turning its original location in the city centre into a parking lot.
The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, Bombay’s most popular annual celebration, which enters its 16th year, reclaims both the statue and the locality in which it first flourished.
The kala gora is captured by Mr Patel, who’s got a lovely daughter.
Statue: Dadabhai Naoroji (1825-1917)
Junction of Hornby Road and Esplanade Road (presently Dadabhai Naoroji Road).
Delegates at the ongoing World Zoroastrian Congress breathed a collective sigh of relief when they were informed that Dadabhai Naoroji, the early Indian nationalist, was indeed fair and lovely.
A careful comparison of complexions has revealed that Naoroji was in fact fairer and lovelier than Lord Salisbury, the Tory prime minister, who had erroneously called him a ‘Black Man’ in 1888.
Photo courtesy Parsiana .
Statue: Lady Justice (1879)
Bombay High Court, Mayo Road, Fort (presently Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil Marg).
With Lady Justice presiding over the Bombay High Court, no manhandling was tolerated. Older forms of public punishment in the city that ranged from being pelted with cowdung or eggshells, to being tied to a pole and flogged, to being rotated in a cage till the prisoner fainted, were replaced with modern forms of discipline, decency and punishment.
Hersh Acharya a Bombay Barrister, captures the likeness of the Lady from a gentlemanly distance.