Furniture: St. Antony’s College (1950)
62 Woodstock Road, Oxford, England.
Miss Bombaywalla is happy to report that she has passed her viva examination and has been awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Her examiners were Dr Faisal Devji, University Reader in Modern South Asian History at the University of Oxford and Dr David Washbrook, Research Professor in South Asian History at the University of Cambridge.
Furniture: Koolar & Co. (1932)
Noor Mahal, King’s Circle, Matunga East (presently junction of Ambedkar Road and Hormusji Adenwalla Road).
Ladies and solid foods were introduced into restaurants in Bombay at roughly the same time in the late 1800’s. Prior to their inclusion, native women were cooped up at home and hardly partook of the city’s vibrant public culture and an array of cold drinks- lemonade, ices, soda water- dominated the menus of refreshment rooms across the city.
Ms Bombaywalla was dismissed so quickly by the proprietor of Koolar & Co., she thinks it will be another century before a lady and her camera are welcomed into cafes.
Furniture: Adenwalla Baug
Tardeo Road (presently Javji Dadaji Marg).
In homes in Bombay, it was not bratty four year olds that were called boys but rather the grownup male Goan staff of butlers and cooks as well as items of furniture like this Tallboy table.
The infantalization of adults was a common means through which individuals asserted their power over others.
Bombaywalla has a penchant for tall boys, as do most short girls.
Furniture: Willingdon Sports Club (1918)
Even Bombay’s most famous Kejriwal – an egg, cheese and chilly open sandwich– has been swept by the wave of change orchestrated by its namesake in Delhi.
Originally served to the bade bade (big and famous) members of Bombay’s
Willingdon Club, the Kejriwal is now available to the city’s aam aadmi (ordinary man) at popular cafes across the city.
Bombaywalla congratulates Mr. Arvind Kejriwal and the AAP for their outstanding electoral debut in Delhi and confesses she has a small crush on Mr. Yogendra Yadav.
Furniture: Café Military (1933)
Ali Chamber, Tamarind Lane, Fort (presently M. Shetty Marg).
The café, through its title, brings back the military presence at the heart of the Fort locality, where it rightly belongs.
In the 1800’s the Fort was filled with establishments catering to the needs of the forces-army saddlers, military and naval outfitters, mess, army and general agents, hotels.
Bombaywalla looks forward to meeting the ever-smiling, adorable proprietor, featured at end of this video.
This photo and more to follow, establish Hashim Badani as a people’s person and photographer.