Boundaries: Marine Drive (1940)
(presently Netaji Subhaschandra Bose Marg).
Sitting by the sea is a relatively recent recreational activity in Bombay. In the 1800’s, the popular forms of public pastime were chilling in the Maidan, the grassy expanse that surrounded the Fort settlement, and for the upwardly mobile, drives by the sea front in horse drawn carriages and buggies.
The monsoons make visiting Marine Drive all the more exciting.
This awesome photograph is shot by Hersh Acharya.
Boundary: Resham Bhavan
Church Gate Street (presently Veer Nariman Road).
With the emergence of residential and commercial buildings in the Art Deco style in Bombay in the 1930s and 1940s, the practices of naming them took a curious turn.
The well established formula for naming– a cosmopolitan mix of a native proper name (Bandukwala) with a word in English that suggests a type of structure (Building) was revised to a local mix of a native proper/ name (Resham, Kapoor) with a native name that suggests a type of structure (Bhavan, Mahal).
Here, the name Resham (silk), was chosen since the building was owned by and housed the offices of the Synthetic & Art Silk Mills’ Research Association (Sasmira).
Boundary walls like these, designed in the style of the structures they surround, have recently been demolished in the Art Deco precinct of Marine Drive.