BB&CI Railway Administrative Offices (1899)
Churchgate (presently Western Railway Head Office).
2013 is an important anniversary year for the Indian Railways and their structures. The first passenger train left Bombay for Thana on April 16th 1853, 160 years ago, hauled by three locomotives named Sindh, Sultan and Sahib.
The façade of the Bombay, Baroda & Central India (BB&CI) Railway Administrative Offices has been lit up this week in celebration (see our gallery above). A Google Doodle marks the 160 year anniversary.
Signage: Medows Street, Fort
(presently Nagindas Master Road)
Medows Street holds the dubious distinction of the most corrupted street name in the city. Named after General Sir William Medows, Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Bombay from 1788-90, the street was locally referred to as the Ingrez or Angrezi Bazaar since it housed a profusion of European shops. By the 1860s ‘Medows’ had been distorted to ‘Medow’ and subsequently ‘Meadow’ and ‘Meadows’.
The correct address can be found on the signboard of the Commercial Watch Company.
#MumbaiList: Visit Gardens And Open Spaces In Mumbai, MumbaiMag, April 13, 2013.
Town Hall (1833)
Fort (presently Asiatic Society of Mumbai).
The temperament of the gargoyles in Bombay is determined by the style of the structures from which they protrude. This benign creature belongs to the solid, calm façade of the Town Hall, a landmark city structure, in neo-classical style.
Bombaywalla’s coverage of gargoyles will range from the benign to the spectacularly grotesque.
St. Thomas’ Cathedral (1718)
Church Gate Street, Fort (presently Veer Nariman Road)
St. Thomas’ Cathedral, initially called Bombay Church, was located at the heart of the Fort, the walled settlement within which the city’s early inhabitants lived. Church Gate, one of the three gates of the Fort, was named after this church, consecrated into a cathedral in 1837.
The Fort walls were demolished in 1864.