Author Archives: admin

Left to Lie

19 March, 2013
Share Button

Left to Lie

Lamp posts: Apollo Bunder

Towering lamposts in disarray at the harbour.

Share Button

Dented and Painted

19 March, 2013
Share Button

Dented and Painted

Fountain: The Arthur Crawford Municipal Market

1868. Junction of Hornby Road and Carnac Road (presently Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Mandai, M. Khana Road).

The sorry state of a stone fountain designed by Lockwood Kipling at The Arthur Crawford Municipal Market.

Share Button

The Remains of the Day

19 March, 2013
Share Button

The Remains of the Day

The Esplanade Hotel (1871)
Esplanade Road, Fort, (presently Esplanade Mansion, Mahatma Gandhi Road).

The current condition of the interiors and exteriors of The Esplanade Hotel is shameful. The Esplanade was India’s first grand hotel and the oldest surviving building with a cast iron framework.

Share Button

Façade: The Red Building

19 March, 2013
Share Button

The Red Building

The Red Building
Parsi Bazaar Street, Elphinstone Circle, Fort, (presently S. A. Brelvi Marg, Horniman Circle)

The Red Building houses the offices of The Bombay Samachar (1822), Asia’s oldest newspaper. Formerly the premises were also used by the Bombay Chronicle (1913-1949); after whose editors, Benjamin Guy Horniman and Syed Abdullah Brelvi, the Circle and Street, have been renamed.

Share Button

Signage: The Arthur Crawford Municipal Market (1868)

19 March, 2013
Share Button

The Arthur Crawford Municipal Market

The Arthur Crawford Municipal Market (1868)
(presently called Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Mandai), Junction of Hornby Road and Carnac Road (presently M. Khana Road).

Arthur Travers Crawford (1835-1911) had a sociable and controversial tenure as a civil servant in various parts of Western India, including as the first Municipal Commissioner of Bombay.

Notice the monogram ‘ATC’ on the clock tower.

Share Button